Magens Bay --San Thomas

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Second Acts --What do you do for an encore?


Many of us have been doing our jobs years after years. And one day, some of us would wake up and wonder if this is what we want to do? –We need a change! This is where the second acts, what you do for an encore came in. 

“Second Acts looks at the many paths people are taking in their 50s and beyond.” –cited from http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203833004577251524178931452.html

The article in the Wall Street Journal talked about several figures. A retired cardiologist who found his passion in, after he retired, running a biz of repairing and bookbinding for antique books.–Simply fascinating!
Another former executive from Starbuck, who finds herself enjoying the business of buying and selling stones and handmade jewelry from all over the world and returning 25% of her profits to nonprofit groups. –Simply admirable



Courtesy of Suzie Ivy Author
I also know one author of books, Bad luck Cadet and Bad Luck Officer, who has finally discovered her passion in her forties She joined police academy and now she is living as a police detective. In her own words,
“I became a police officer while suffering a midlife crisis in my forties. I became a detective two years later. My name is Suzie Ivy, a.k.a. “The Bad Luck Detective.” The stories are true and the people real. The names have been changed to protect the GUILTY. Did I mention that my name isn’t really Suzie? “ -- http://badluckdetective.wordpress.com/ --Simply unthinkable!

The key to be able to succeed in second acts lie on the spirit of learning and the courage to take on new challenges. Just like what Alan Alda had once said, "You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover is yourself."

What are you going to do for an encore?
Journey of Life

4 comments:

  1. I am doing my encore. I chucked it all 3 years ago and became a farmer. Began blogging about it a year ago, today. I love that Alda quote, because it's true. I have discovered myself. And I'm pretty darned fabulous at being a midlife farmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I am impressed. Thank you for stopping and sharing your success story.

      Delete
  2. What Im doing for an encore is blogging and Ive thinking about this for a while before I got into it. I thought it was going to difficult until one day I just did it. As I was trying to make changes for the better with myself, I was also trying to get others to see that we can all improve, no one around me wanted to hear me. So I said to myself they will come around in their own time. So I started blogging for audience that I thought would be interested in the things that I like to write and talk about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. You have definitely painting the right encore for yourself. I love your writings and glad to take part in the discussion.

      Delete